Thursday, June 14, 2012

Pre-historic Cup Noodles


I got hungry today at about 5pm after my nap, so in a rash decision to ignore my diet (which was failing anyway), I went into the kitchen to get myself some good-old-fashioned cup noodles. Seriously, these dudes are your best friends if you live in a hostel like me. Are you feeling me fellow hostel people?

So anyway, I went into the kitchen (if you could call that a kitchen. No stove, but we DO have a semi-functioning sink) and grabbed a random cup from the wide selection of flavors we had stocked up.

Unfortunately though, the one that I picked was extremely troublesome.

It wasn't one of those kind where you could just put in the seasoning and then pour in the water. Oh no. It was one of those where you had to pour in some water, pour out the water, then only put in the powder. So much work for cup noodles? Was it even worth it? I felt like putting it back and picking another flavor, but I didn't feel like taking the one step forward and bending down again.

And yes, I am very aware of how lazy I sound.

Often, I don't even do the 3 minute wait as stipulated on the cup. Why? Because I'm too lazy to wait. Which got me thinking, people in the prehistoric ages, cavemen if you will, had no cup noodles! The mere thought of it sent shivers down my spine.

Imagine, cavemen who got hungry couldn't just roll down from their stone beds or whatever and get a cup of noodles. Most probably because cups weren't invented yet.

Instead they had to go out from their caves, target an animal, and then hunt it down. Oh imagine the amount of running needed to catch the animal. Even after you've caught it, you'd still have to kill it, walk back all the way home carrying the animal (depending on how far you've chased it), un-fur it, skin it, de-bone it, and cook it. Oh, and you got to start a fire to cook it too.

See how tiring it looks. Picture yourself as the caveman.




I think you get the picture.

Also, you also don't get to pick the flavor. If there is deer, you ate deer. If you felt like eating caribou, you still ate deer.

The farmers probably had an easier life compared to the hunters. But on the downside, plants take a really long time to grow, and if they only start to plant it after feeling hungry, well, the plants would have outlived the farmers.

I stood there in the kitchen for about 5 minutes just staring at the wall pondering these deep thoughts. I should be thankful that I have cup noodles instead of having to go out to hunt deer or plant corn. I looked back down at the cup noodles in my hand. Pouring water in and out doesn't sound so bad after all.

Nah, still not worth it. I proceeded to pour the seasoning in without pouring out the water.

It sucked.

No comments: