Monday, February 9, 2015

Chasing the Moon

The moon is the only thing I see in this darkness,
because everything is dark when you're sad
And I don't know if it's because there's nothing else to compare it to
or if I have just never observed the moon before
but in this aloneness
it is like I am looking at it for the first time
and I decided that we were to be best friends.

One thing about being friends with the moon though:
the distance gets kind of annoying,
and no matter how hard you try to bridge the gap,
it's just always there.
But of course I didn't know this from before
and I think that's how life usually goes
I just wished that what is, didn't have to be.

I remember walking across roads,
zipping through trees,
cutting across fields,
and dodging the occasional familiar face,
just so I could catch a clear view of the moon.
Unobstructed by buildings or street lights,
just so that I could sit down and talk.

It never happened. It was always something.
A roof (the pointy part),
A lamp (artificial light ruins everything),
An unnaturally tall tree (why are trees so tall?),
A building (if only you weren't placed right there).
I started to walk faster, and more urgently
but it did nothing to help the situation.


By the time I gave up
I looked around and realized that nothing was familiar anymore.
I looked back up at the moon
and realized that I was no nearer to it now
then I was when I first started
And it was then that I realized it was a dumb idea
to be best friends with the moon.

It wasn't the moon's fault, I apologize if I made it sound that way.
If anything, the moon was only doing it's job -
being bright and pretty and all.
It was me. I should have known better.
But of course I didn't know this from before
and I think that's how life usually goes
I just wished that what is, didn't have to be.

No comments: